That wasn’t part of the plan

I didn’t make it to Brisbane, Fraser Island or Whitsundays.  Our planned road trip didn’t happen.  I didn’t even make it out of Sydney airport.  Instead, I spent four days in hospital.

When we got to the airport I started to feel nauseous and because I’d drank quite a bit over new year I put it down to a hangover.  I couldn’t remember the last time I was sick from a hangover but these things happen, so I didn’t think much of it.

After checking in, I vomited again and thinking that was the last of it we went to our departure gate…to find out our plane had been delayed by 2 hours.   Then I had to vomit again and it all started.

I had sweat pouring off me and I was dizzy, nauseous and had some pains in my chest and after being in the toilet for about 20 minutes eventually made myself get up, find my friend and find some first aid as I knew something was up.  

My friend thought I was having a panic attack due to the plane being delayed and we’d been rushing about earlier to get to the airport.  I wasn’t convinced, but whilst I was sat with the first aid person I was getting worse, I was short of breath, the pains weren’t going away, I was still nauseous and even with an oxygen mask on I was struggling to breathe – so they called an ambulance. 

The ambulance came and they hooked me up to an ECG and took me to hospital.  Once I got there, the first couple of doctors said to me that I was showing signs of a heart attack, but “it can’t be a heart attack, you’re too young, fit, healthy etc”. They thought it was an inflammation/virus of the sack around the heart – like a flu virus – so they done more tests; ECGs, echos, ultrasounds, ultrascans…everything. 

Eventually another cardiologist came in and stood there with about 8 people around him waiting to whisk me away.  They were going to do a angioplasty procedure to rule out a heart attack.  They took me upstairs to the cardiologist unit and slapped some resuscitation pads on me “in case you do anything silly during the procedure”. 

They gave me a local anaesthetic and they cut into my groin and sent a tube up to have a look at the arteries.  Whilst they were doing that they found I had a blood clot in one of the main arteries of my heart – which they cleared and put a stent in the artery to keep it open.  I was awake whilst they were doing this and felt them doing it inside of me – even heard my heart monitor stop for a second too.

The blood clot had caused me to have a heart attack.  

The doctors still don’t know why it happened.  They’re still waiting on results of blood tests to see if I’m prone to blood clots.  My blood pressure and cholesterol levels were a bit higher than normal but not remarkable so.  The doctor said that nothing I’ve done in the past or have done caused this to happen.  It was all in my genes and it was like this from when I was born, it’s just been waiting to happen and I was lucky it happened when it did (with people around/close to hospital etc).  If that plane hadn’t have been delayed and I’d been on the plane, he said I wouldn’t have made it to Brisbane.  

I’m back home now and I will make a full recovery.  I’ve already been out and about for a few (very) slow walks.  I’m like a pensioner at the minute and I’m wondering if I can nab one of them mobility scooters from somewhere (I’d love a go on one of them).  But aside from all the tablets I need to take I’ve got to go and see a cardiologist in a month and to attend a cardiac rehabilitation program for 6 weeks (starting next week).  Have just been told to take it easy for the next 4-6 weeks – and as long as I don’t exert myself I’ll be fine.   I’ve got to reduce the risk of it happening again, so I’m off the booze for the foreseeable future (if not indefinitely).  The doctor said I couldn’t have sex for two weeks, to which I replied “that’s ok, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, it’s all the same”.  He didn’t find it as funny as me.

I’m just relieved it happened when my friend was here, she’s been amazing and I don’t know what I would’ve done if she hadn’t have been around.  We’ve got the same sense of humour, so we’ve found the humour in everything – from me off my face on morphine in the ER, to walking around like a pensioner.  When something like this happens it makes you realise how far away from family and friends you are.

Because it’s so rare for this to happen to someone of my age, the doctors have took my charts to use to teach other doctors and they’ve also put me on a research program as well.

I still haven’t got my head around it yet, but it’s all been very surreal week.  I’m 33 years old, no history of health/heart problems, relatively fit and healthy and I’ve had a heart attack.  It just goes to show, it could happen to anyone, at any time.

It’s time to put my feet up and get through a shitload of movies and TV.  What a start to 2013. 


22 thoughts on “That wasn’t part of the plan

  1. Wow! I am so happy to hear that you are ok. I understand how you feel as I was in the hospital unexpectedly at the end of the year. I am only now just getting back to a normal routine. Take care.

  2. Bugger. That’s not what you’re after. Thank god they found it when and where they did. Wishing you a super speedy recovery (and a jaunt on a mobility scooter).

  3. Good grief. How frightening! I’m glad to hear you’re okay at the end of it all, but bloody hell – what a trauma to go through. Here’s to a very speedy and complete recovery, and a trip to QLD soon to make up for it!

    Must have been an epic relief to have such a good friend there to help you through it. Health issues are scary enough without being on the opposite side of the world to family, support network etc. Take care of yourself.

  4. Here’s to a speedy recovery.
    Glad to hear you are okay and on the mend.
    Very scary business either way.

    note: if it happened to you, I hope your twin is getting a medical check … just incase.

    • Thanks planetross.

      Yes, my twin has already been for a checkup. Looks like we’ve both inherited high blood pressure from my mum. He’s waiting on other tests to be done this week just to be sure, but no immediate danger. Thanks for asking.

  5. “If that plane hadn’t have been delayed and I’d been on the plane, he said I wouldn’t have made it to Brisbane.”
    Wow I had heard that Brisbane was bad but having a heart attack to avoid going there….that’s a new one…

    “The doctor said I couldn’t have sex for two weeks”
    You should have got him to subscribe constant sex after that – you could then use that for sympathy shags….

    You could also try working that pensioner angle
    I read recently that John Profumo (1963 – Christine Keeler, Scandal etc…. ) while sitting next to the queen mother, decades after he was forced to resign, turned to the teenage girl on his other side and whispered “Ever been F***ed by a 70 year old? You should try it.” You could change it to “Ever been f***ed by someone moving like a 70 year old?”

    Glad to hear that you are on the mend and that your recent brush with death has drawn out more comments than usual… perhaps that’s what the BlackLOG needs…where do you buy those blood clots?

    • Thanks Niel, I can send over some of my blood clots if you like, I’ll address them to The Beast…I’m sure there won’t be a problem getting through customs!

      I’m hoping I’ll get a hotrod mobility scooter (complete with go faster stripes), I’ll be fighting the ladies off with a walking stick.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s